There was pandemonium yesterday in Ughelli due to fire outbreak caused by an explosion in a mini Gas station along Ekredjebor road, Ughelli.
According to an eyewitness account, who did not disclosed his name, the fire started when a gas cylinder in the mini gas station exploded and immediately ignited stores and workshops located along the road, destroying property worth millions of naira. Also affected was a woman roasting plantain along the road.
Another eyewitness told our correspondent that no life was lost to the fire but that some persons sustained varied degree of injuries. He thanked those who supported to put out the fire.
Meanwhile, some persons who spoke to our correspondent have appealed to the state government to check the proliferation of mini gas station sited within residential homes to safeguard lives and property in the state, stressing that it was dangerous and risky.
According to one of them, “What happened Yesterday was an eye opener to the danger involved in citing this mini gas station everywhere. So many lives and property could have been destroyed because of this act.”
“If we have relevant regulatory bodies then this cannot happen. It is not good, government should do something about it,” he added
Good journalism costs a lot of money, only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, accountability democracy and a transparent government.
For continued free access to the best investigative journalism, we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble profession.